To see my current courses, please visit my faculty web page at https://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/swensone.
- Ph.D. in Musicology, Cornell University
- M.A. Musicology, University of Kentucky
- M.A., Music History (Reifezeugnis,with high honors, including the Lilli Lehmann Medallion), Akademie Mozarteum, Salzburg
- M.A., trombone performance, Akademie Mozarteum, Salzburg
- Bachelor of Music, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, trombone performance
- Certificate in Piano Technology, Oberlin Conservatory of Music
- Private vocal study at the Scuola di Musica, Santa Cecilia, Rome, Italy, the Tri-Cities Opera in Binghamton, NY, and with Ithaca College Professor Leslie Bennett.
During my tenure at Ithaca College, I have taught a wide variety of graduate and undergraduate music history courses. In addition, I have offered courses on the history and literature of opera, the art song, the operas of Mozart, the music of Stravinsky, Wagner’s operas, bibliography and research, and music history period courses for graduate students. I also continue to be active as a performer; in 2002 I presented a voice recital at Ithaca College entitled: Three Pianos and one Tenor, which featured 19th-century songs accompanied by three, restored period pianos.
My research interests focus on the history, evolution, restoration, and technical development of the pianoforte. In 2003 I provided eleven articles for the new edition of The Encyclopedia of Keyboard Instruments, edited by Robert Palmieri. In 2006 I received the Jack Greenfield Award, from the Piano Technician’s Journal for “outstanding research and writing on the history and technology of the piano”. You can read more about my diverse research interests and activities at https://www.ithaca.edu/icq/2003v1/reports/repmusi.html.
My service to Ithaca College includes membership on many past and present committees, including the presidential search committee, which recommended James J. Whalen as the candidate for Ithaca College president in 1975. My curriculum vitae outlines detailed information about my publications, research and special interests.