I'm a human-computer interaction (HCI) researcher with an interest in games with a purpose, information visualization, and user experience design. Most of my work follows a "design science" approach where I conceptualize, design, build, and evaluate systems (like video games or visualization tools) with research goals in mind.
- Condition One: A mixed-reality Arduino/VR system to explore cultural, social, and individual attitudes toward firearms while teaching essential safety practices in law enforcement and other training contexts.
- Arena: An RPG game where players learn Spanish while adventuring through a harrowing sci-fi world.
- Citizen Sort: Games where players classify plants, animals, and insects for biologists. A collaboration with researchers at Syracuse University and the Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing. (www.citizensort.org)
- TEMPO: Educational visualization of the battle of Midway (1942). (www.imperialsolutions.com/tempo)
Research and Creative Interests
- Games, Game Design, and Games With a Purpose
- Virtual Worlds, Presence, and Play
- Interactive, Mixed-Media, and Linear Storytelling
- 3D Computer Art and Technology
- Interface Design and the User Experience
- Game Design and Development
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Computer Art and Graphics (2D/3D)
- Design Thinking
- Emerging Media
- History of Computing and Emerging Technologies
- Ph.D. in Information Science & Technology, School of Information Studies, Syracuse University (2013)
- M.Phil. in Information Science & Technology, School of Information Studies, Syracuse University (2012)
- M.S. in New Media, Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University (2006)
- B.A. in American History, Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs, Syracuse University (2001)
- B.A. in TV-Radio-Film Production, Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University (2001)
- Web Administrator at Morrisville State College (2006-2009)
- UX, Web, & Interactive Designer (various companies) in Los Angeles, CA and Clifton Park, NY (2001-2005)
- Freelance design and consulting (2001-present)
- My design and research portfolio is online at: www.imperialsolutions.com.
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/nathan-prestopnik/6/54b/7b5