Professional Services and Scholarship
As a faculty development professional, I continue to support faculty excellence in multiple ways.
As an independent professional I provide:
- Coaching for faculty on academic writing and careers, as an Associate Coach with Academic Ladder,
- Consulting on a particular class, involving focus groups with students.
- Advising on the tenure process for individuals or departments.
- Consulting to academic departments on process or policies.
As a scholar I am involved in:
- Institutional history of Ithaca College analyzed in the context of comprehensive colleges during the important years of 1975-2008.
- Research on experiences and resources related to chronic illness and the faculty career.
- Exploration and analysis of the concept of social capital as it relates to faculty development work in higher education. I designed an article, co-authored with colleagues from three other institutions, that appeared in To Improve the Academy 29 (2011.)
- Examining the value for new faculty members of programs that involve groups, such as Faculty Learning Communities and Communities of Practice. I have a chapter in a book edited by Milton D. Cox, forthcoming in 2011: Faculty and Professional Learning Communities: Effectively Involving Communities of Practice in Higher Education.
Detail on these activities is available by email.