- Ph.D., University of California Los Angeles, Germanic Languages and Literatures
- M.A., San Francisco State University, German Language and Literature
- M.A., San Francisco State University, Music
- B.A., San Francisco State University, Geography and Environmental Studies
- German as a Second Language
- German and Comparative Cultural Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Arts, Film, Holocaust Studies, Literature, Philosophy
I am interested in the literature-theoretical and philosophical bases of German and European cultural constructs. I am particularly concerned with the investigation of the concept of subjectivity as the product of narrativized historical processes, and interrogation of the relevance of these for the shaping of ideas into the present time. Areas of research by period include: German literature and philosophy of the Enlightenment, Marx and Vormärz, Modernism, the literature of the two Germanys during the Cold War period, and emerging themes of the twenty-first century. Specific work has included investigation of gender marking in first year German textbooks, evaluation of the implications for literature of the rise of print technology in relation to computer technology, and analysis of experimental and hybrid approaches to critical theory and their intersection(s) with the arts.
Please note new office: 214 MULLER CENTER