- arts criticism
- feature writing for magazines and newspapers
- food and travel writing
- editing and publishing
- media and technology
- public essay and nonfiction
- peer tutoring
- careers in writing
Degrees & Honors
- M.A. English, Yale University, 1966. Woodrow Wilson Fellow, Yale and Ford Foundation grants
- B.A. English, University of Southern California, 1964, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa. Cal State and USC scholarships
- At Ithaca College: Dana Fellowship for Teaching Excellence (1984), Faculty Excellence Award (2018), College Marshall
"Has anybody ever seen a dramatic critic in the daytime? Of course not. They come out after dark, up to no good."
– P.G. Wodehouse
- Theatre critic and feature writer, Ithaca Times (1978-present) and Ithaca Journal (1972-77, 1998-2016)
- Interview-based features for ICView on actor Matt Cavanaugh and actor Mark Price (both 2009); choreographer Vergiu Cornea, screenwriter Paul Bernbaum, and actor/playwright Eric Jordan Young (all 2007). Director/playwright Joe Calarco (1998).
- Interview-based features for Ithaca Journal on film critic A. O. Scott (2/09), choreographer David Gordon (9/06), Iranian writer Azar Nafisi (8/06), novelist Tim O'Brien (9/05), and choreographer Bill T. Jones.
- Interview-based features for Ithaca Times on writer Ted Conover (11/19), actor and activist Yolanda King (9/04), writer Barbara Ehrenreich (9/00), playwright Tony Kushner (12/99), choreographer Trisha Brown (9/99), lighting designer Jennifer Tipton (12/98), choreographer Mark Morris (2/98), theatre artist Robert Wilson (10/95), playwright Wendy Wasserstein (8/95), writer Paul West and others.
- Introduction to short story by Reza Daneshvar, "Don't Go to the Reception with Friends of the Groom!" Ithaca: Vista Periodista Press, 2006.
- Review/essay on theatre critic Frank Rich's autobiography, Ghost Light. The Bookpress. Jan 2001.
- "Tight Focus in Small Places," interview with writer Diane Ackerman, Writer's Digest. Sept 1997.
- ''A Stylist's Delight: A Conversation with Paul West,'' in Creative Nonfiction 6. Summer 1996.
- "Susan Griffin." Contemporary Lesbian Writers of the United States. Greenwood Press. 1993.
- Co-Founding Member (since 2000) and former Chair, Ithaca City of Asylum
- Director and Founder, Internship Program in Writing & Publishing, Ithaca College, 2001-present
- Coordinator and Founder, Careers for Writers lecture/discussion series, Ithaca College, fall 2006-present
- Technology Coordinator and Supervisor of Writing and Technology Consultants, developing Writing's technology initiative, Ithaca College, 1986-2008
- Writing Minor Coordinator, Ithaca College, 1976-2007
- Co-Director and Co-Founder, Writing Center, Ithaca College, 1976-1981