· Ph.D., Media Studies, University of Colorado, 2006
· M.A., Communication, Colorado State University, 1996
· B.A., English, Colorado State University, 1992
- Schack, T.A. (2013) “’A Failure of Language’: Achieving Layers of Meaning in Graphic Journalism,” Journalism: Theory, Practice, and Criticism, Vol. 15 (1) 109-127, 2014.
- Schack, T.A. (2013) “Legacies of Literary Style in Music Journalism,” Literary Journalism Studies, Vol. 5, No.1 (Spring 2013).
- Schack, T.A. (2011) “21st C. Drug Warriors: The Press, Privateers and the For-Profit Waging of the War on Drugs,” Media War and Culture, Vol. 4 Issue 2.
- Schack, T.A. (2011) “Legacies of Literary Style in Wartime Journalism,” Literary Journalism Studies, Vol. 3, No. 1, (Spring, 2011).
- Schack, T.A. (2009) “Perpetual Media Wars: The Cultural Front in the Wars on Drugs and Terror” in 9/11, The War on Terror, and American Popular Culture, Eds. Hill, Matthew, Schopp, Andrew. Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
· Literary/Narrative Journalism
· Media and Journalism History
· Multi-platform Narrative Journalism
· Music Journalism
· Graphic Non Fiction/Comics Journalism
· Media History and Representations of the Wars on Terror and Drugs in both popular culture and journalism
· Ethnographic Documentary Film Production, Theory and History.
· 19th C. English and French Decadent Literatures, Theory and History.
Curriculum Development/Teaching Interests:
· Narrative Journalism
· Media Studies
· History of Journalism
· Graphic Non-Fiction
· Cultural Production of the Wars on Drugs & Terror
· Media Theory/Critical Social Theory
Book in Progress:
- The Woman Question: Abigail Scott Duniway and The Editorial War of the Century
- The Media History of Drug Discourse, 19th Century to the Present
Journal Articles in Progress:
- Lippmann and Bernays and the Festival of Lights: Capitalism’s Darkest Hour
- Against Idealist Historiography: Raymond Williams and Michel Foucault on the Possibility of Rescuing our Present from our Past
Schack, T.A. (2014) "The Dark Side of Globalisation: Precarity and the Journalism of Commitment," Inverting Globalisation Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct., 2014.
Schack, T.A. (2014) "The Power and the Promise of (Literary) Journalism of Commitment," International Association for Literary Journalism Studies Conference, Paris, France, May, 2014.
Schack, T.A. (2013) “Creating Cultural Narratives: Writing About Music,” International Conference on Arts & Humanities, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, Jan. 2013.
Schack, T.A. (2012) “Music Journalism in Flux: Recording Rock Mythologies in Globalized Culture,” International Association for the Study of Popular Music, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia, Dec., 2012.
Schack, T. A. (2012) “Writing About Music: A Disappearing Sub-Genre of Literary Journalism” International Association for Literary Journalism Studies Conference, Toronto, Canada, May, 2012.
Schack, T. A. (2011) “Damaged Borders: Journalist Charles Bowden and the Way Out of Juarez,” International Association for Literary Journalism Studies Conference, Brussels, Belgium, May, 2011.
Schack, T. A. (2010) “Wikileaks: A Media Insurgency on National Security” National Communications Association Conference, San Francisco, October, 2010.
Schack, T. A. (2010) “Knowing the Enemy: War and the Public Interest in Literary and Conventional Journalism,” International Association for Literary Journalism Studies Conference, University of Roehampton, London, May 2010.
Schack, T. A. (2009) “The Ideological Usefulness of Perpetual Media Wars: The Mass Mediation of Drug and Terror War Culture,” Visions of War Conference, New York School of Visual Arts, October, 2009.
Schack, T. A. (2009) “21st Century Drug Warriors: Blackwater, DynCorp, and the Billion-Dollar Drug War Marketplace” Conference on Drugs, Culture and Society Conference, University of Illinois, Champagne-Urbana, April, 2009.
Schack, T. A. (2008) “Media Wars In Perpetuity: Lessons Learned in the Wars on Terror and Drugs” International Conference on War, Media and Conflict Resolution, Bowling Green State University, September, 2008.
Schack, T. A. (2007) “Perpetual Media Wars: The Cultural Front in the Wars on Drugs and Terror” Cultural Studies Association, Portland, April 2007.
Schack, T. A. (2006). “Classical Social Theory and Modern Discourses on Drugs" Association of American Geographers, Convention on Cultural Geography of Drug Use, Chicago, March, 2006.
Schack, T. A. (2005). “Perverse Mirrors: Deviance and Drugs in the Media” International Communications Association, New York, May 2005.
Schack, T. A. (2004). “The Ambivalent Gaze of 19th C. Decadent and 20th C. Rave Cultures” Mobile Boundaries/Rigid Worlds: Centre for Research on Social Inclusion, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, September 2004.
Schack, T. A. (2004). “Where the Decadent and the Raver Meet: The Stranger” International Postgraduate Conference at Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand, August 2004.
Schack, T. A. (2001). “The Political Economy of Ecstasy” International Association for Mass Communication Research, Barcelona, Spain, July 2001.