- Ph.D., Health Education, Southern Illinois University, IL
- Ph.D., Fisheries Biology, Auburn University, AL
- M.S., Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- B.S., Trichandra Campus, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES)
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Business Research Conference, Montego Bay, Jamaica, 2013.
- Awarded Dean’s Excellence Award in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service, Ithaca College, 2012.
- Nominated for American Association of Health Education (AAHE) Distinguished Service Award, 2010.
- Promoted to full professor, Ithaca College, (2009)
- Awarded tenure, Ithaca College, (2007)
- Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award, Ithaca College, (2006)
- University of Maine at Presque Isle Community Award, UMPI Board of Visitors, (2002)
- Interdisciplinary Teamwork, Leadership, and Student Mentoring Award, Interdisciplinary Training for Health Care for Rural Areas (ITHCRA) Project (2001)
- Trustees' Professorship Award, University of Maine System (2000)
- Nominated for Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Maine at Presque Isle (1998)
- Awarded tenure, University of Maine at Presque Isle, 1997
- First Place Awards, poster sessions, Research Symposium American College Health Association, Annual Meetings (1991 and 1992)
- Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education (initiated 1991)
- Phi Kappa Phi, National Scholastic Honor Society (initiated 1991)
- Eta Sigma Gamma, National Professional Honorary for Men and Women in Health Science (initiated 1988)
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society for Agriculture (initiated 1983)
- Fulbright Scholar, Graduate study in Fish Ecology, Auburn University (1980-1981)
- Gold Medal for Scholastic Excellence, awarded by King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev, Nepal (1974)
- Personal Health
- Wellness: A Multicultural Perspective of Health and Healilng
- Development and Evaluation of Health Programs
- Introduction to Health Education
- Professional Leadership in Health
- Community Health
- Women’s Health
- Human Sexuality
- Faculty Sponsored Research
- Epidemiological Approaches to Disease Prevention and Control
- Grant Writing
- Environmental Dimentions in Health Education
- Critical Perspective on Health and Physical Activity
- Advanced Methods and Practices in Community Health Education
- Community needs assessment
- Program evaluation
- Women's health
- Substance abuse
- Minority health
- Academic Project Grant $750.00, funded to support Know 2 Be Well, a breast cancer education program, in Ithaca College, 2013. With Nahed Ali.
- Partnership in Teaching Program Clynes Collaboration Grant, Ithaca College Sustainability Education: A Collaborative Project with Ithaca College, CayugaNature Center and South Hill Elementary School, Submitted in December, 2012.
- Applying Science to Sustainability Grant, $1.000.00, Sustainable Health, Ithaca College-EcoVillage at Ithaca Partnership for Sustainability, $1,000.00, 2011
- Summer Research Grant, An Evaluation Study of Outdoor Tobacco Smoking Policy in the City of Ithaca, 3,350.00, Ithaca College, 2011
- Creative, Collaborative, and Community Service Project Grant, $750.00, Ithaca College, 2010
- Academic Project Grant, $750.00. Examining the College and University Community’s Perceptions of the Teaching Competencies of Faculty Members with English as a Second Language (ESL): A Pilot Study, Co-authored. Ithaca College, 2007
- Creative, Collaborative, and Community Service Project Grant, $495.00, Ithaca College, 2006.
- Applying Science to Sustainability Grant, $1.000.00, Sustainable Health, Ithaca College-EcoVillage at Ithaca Partnership for Sustainability, Ithaca College, 2006
- Creative, Collaborative, and Community Service Project Grant, Ithaca College, 2005
- Summer Research Grant, An Assessment of Knowledge Regarding Colorectal Cancer (CRC) and Perceived Benefits and Barriers to Screening for CRC among College/University Employees, Ithaca College. 2005
- Collaborative NIH Grant with Cornell University: Family food decision-making: linking food systems and health outcomes, Spring, 2005, not funded.
- The Instructional Development Fund, Attending a Pre-Convention Continuing Education Session on Environmental Health. Ithaca College, Fall 2004
- Faculty Development Grant, Health Sciences and Human Performance, Ithaca College 2004
- Academic Project Grant, Ithaca College, 2003
- Gerontology Institute Faculty Grant, Ithaca College, 2003
- Maine Campus Compact, $3,000.00 annually, The Learn and Serve America: Higher Education Program at the University of Maine at Presque Isle (2001-2003).
- Collaborative community and school health promotion program for the reduction of tobacco use and tobacco related chronic disease. Co-authored and participated, Maine Bureau of Health, $325,800.00 (2001-2002).
- Trustees' Professorship Award, $5,000.00. An assessment of knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors regarding menopausal issues among women living in Maine. (2000 -2001).
- Maine Campus Compact, Service-Learning in Rural Area Program, Improving awareness of multifaceted issues of substance use and violence, $5,000.00 Integrated two health education and one criminal justice class to design, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive “Drug and Violence Awareness” event for school personnel. (2000).
Bajracharya, S.M. & Wigglesworth, J.K. (2013). Colorectal Cancer Screening: Knowledge, Perceived Benefits and Barriers, and Intentions among College an University. American Journal of Health Education.44:2,88-95.
Constantinou, P., Bajracharya, S. M., & Baldwin, S. (2011). Perceptions Regarding International Faculty in the United States Colleges. The International Journal of Science in Society, 2, Number 3, 2011, http://science-society.com/journal/.
- Bajracharya, S.M. (2009). Emphasizing sustainable health and wellness in a health education curriculum. American Journal of Health Education, 40, 56-64.
- Bajracharya, S. M. (2008). Community-Based Health Education Intervention: A Service-Learning Approach. Forum on Public Policy. Available at: http://www.forumonpublicpolicy.com/papersum07.html
- Bajracharya, S. M. (2006-2007). An assessment of the perceived barriers and strategies to promote early detection of colorectal cancer (CRC): A practitioners’ perspective. International Quarterly of Community Health Education, 26 (1), 23-44.
- Bajracharya, S. M., Bentley, M. (2006). Health Status of Immigrants from Nepal in the United States: Preliminary Findings and Methodological Issues. International Electronic Journal of Health Education, 9, 92-107.
- Bajracharya, S. M., Bell. C. & Bowler, S. (2004). Partnership for a healthy community: A tobacco prevention program in Central Aroostook County (CAC). American Journal of Health Education, 35, 301-304.
- Bajracharya, S.M.(1999). Employer’s perceived importance and use of skills that are specific to health educators: A replication study in a rural setting. International Electronic Journal of Health Education, 2, 59-65
- Bajracharya, S.M., Sarvela, P.D., & Isberner, F.R. (1995). A retrospective study of first sexual intercourse experiences among undergraduates. Journal of American College Health, 43, 169-177
- Sarvela, P.D., McDermott, R.J., Hoalt, P.N., Bajracharya, S.M., Marty, P.J., & Emery, E.M. (1992). A multivariate assessment of high school student cigarette use, Journal of School Health, 62, 146-150.
- Sarvela, P.D., Holcomb, D.R., Huetteman, J.K., Bajracharya, S.M., & Odulana, J.A. (1991). A university employee health promotion program needs assessment. Health Education, 22, 116-120.
- Sarvela, P.D., Doidge-Huetteman, J.K., & Bajracharya, S.M. (1990). Needs assessment for a university wellness center: A strategic planning project. Health Values, 14, May/June, 24-32.
- Sarvela, P.D., Pape, D.J., Odulana, J. & Bajracharya, S. (1990). Drinking, drug use, and driving among rural youth. Journal of School Health, 60, 215-219.