Kevin Murphy has been a member of the Ithaca College English department since 1979. He has also taught at Cornell University, Universite de Lille (Fulbright Lecturer), Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and Seoul National University (Peace Corps Lecturer). In Spring 2004 he was designated the Robert Ryan Professor in the Humanities.
- American Writers Since 1890: The Status of Women in Modern American Fiction
- Modern Irish Literature
- The Eye of the Beholder: American Visions in 19th Century Literature, Architecture, and Painting (honors seminar) - Course Web Site
- James Joyce's Ulysses (seminar)
- American Poetry
- Introduction to Poetry
- "'It's not that I can't imagine still': The Reprise of Imagination in Seamus Heaney's Human Chain, The Recorder, Vol. 24, No. 1 (Spring 2012), 104-119.
- "The Pulse at the Center, the Shiver at the Rim: "Seamus Heaney's District and Circle," The Recorder, Vol. 19, No. 2 & 20, No.1 (Summer 2007), 185-201.
- "Reviving/Revising Yeats: R. F. Foster's Yeats: A Life; Volume Two: The Arch-Poet," The Recorder, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Summer 2004), 155-165.
- "Reinvention and Rejuvenation: The Poetry of Ciaran Carson and John Montague,"Irish Literary Supplement, Vol. 20, No.2 (Fall 2001), 12-14.
- "Four Portraits of Wind" and "Northern Light," The Recorder, Vol. 13, No. 2 (Spring 2000), 126.
- "The Growth of a Poet's Mind: Seamus Heaney's Opened Ground and Helen Vendler's Seamus Heaney," Bookpress (February 1999), 6+
- "Irish Journal," The Bookpress, Vol. 8, No. 7 (November 1998), 1+
- "Derek Mahon," in Modern Irish Writers, ed. Alex Gonzalez, Greenwood Publishing Group, 1997, 209-14.
- "Fenton's Wooden Horse: How the English Praise the Irish," The Bookpress, Vol. 6, No. 5 (September 1996), 1+
- "Walt Whitman and Louis Sullivan: The Aesthetics of Egalitarianism," Walt Whitman Quarterly Review (Summer 1988), 1-15.
Ithaca College links
- American Visions webpage
- "Oatmeal Ad: October 1953"
- "Aces and Eights"
- "Of Poetry, Professors, and Soldiers"
- Walden address to Class of 2014
- Sigma Tau Delta 2011 Address: The Common Wages of the Most Secret Heart