My passions are teaching, cooking, and photography. I recently purchased an electric bicycle that allows me to bicycle from our home in downtown Ithaca up south hill to Ithaca College without coughing up my spleen. My electric bicycle has me feeling like I'm back in Corvallis, Oregon where I bicycled everywhere, and my ebike has me seriously considering selling my motorcycle due to how my ebike can use a wider range of pathways and still gives me a riding feel similar to my motorcycle.
If you've been a student in my classroom you've experienced my passion for teaching. If you've been at the physics fall picnic you've experienced just a hint of my cooking skills through my grill work. And you can see my recent DSLR photographic work at www.flickr.com/photos/photos-by-bodhi/. This link takes you to an album of some of my favorite photographs, but please browse all of my photographs.
- Architecture and Artifact Preservation and Public Accessibility: Undergraduate students and I are using state-of-the-art 3D laser scanning and printing to digitally preserve historic houses and artifacts. We've digitally preserved at a resolution of readings every 5 mm the President Lincoln's Cottage in Washington D.C., Old Fort Johnson National Historic Landmark in Fort Johnson NY, the Eight Square School House in Ithaca NY, and we are currently working on Grant Cottage, Seward House, Philipse Manor Hall, and Trim Castle (Ireland).
- Non-Invasive Image of Archaeology Sites: My research examines methods of increasing the accuracy and efficiency of ground-based remote sensing (GBRS). I am interested in all types of GBRS methods, but my current research focus is on magnetometry and ground-penetrating radar. My research is often applied to archaeology projects and to helping solve environmental problems. I'm currently interested in examining how people interacted with each other and their environment on a landscape scale. Archaeogeophysical survey methods can cover approximately 2 acres each day while taking readings every 5 cm in one direction and every 25 cm in the other direction.
- Education Research: I am also interested in Physics and Astronomy Education Research and implementing successful strategies at increasing student learning. I facilitated the selection of the campus-wide standard of Personal Response Units (PRS) "clickers" using the Think-Pair-Share method of teaching. I also led the physics department's efforts in adapting and implementing the SCALE-UP (Student-Centered Activities for Large Enrollment Undergraduate Programs) developed at North Carolina State University. Learn more about our project. I'm also a Co-PI of the National Science Foundation funded Multidisciplinary Sustainability Education Project that is creating sustainability themed learning modules where courses in different disciplines jointly tackle relevant, real-world problems.
- Cooking (I'm teaching myself French style cooking)
- Mountain Biking and Cross-Country Skiing
- 9th Century Scandanavian Living History
- Guitar and Saxophone (I dabble)