- composition theory
- academic writing
- literacy and service learning
- Ph.D. English/Composition Theory, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1992
- M.A. English/Creative Writing, SUNY Binghamton, 1980
- B.A. Psychology, SUNY Fredonia, 1975
- Poems: "Lackawanna" and "Mike" published in Seneca Review 2013.
- Poems: "I Called My Uncle" and "No Ideas But In Things" published in Arts & Letters after being selected for first prize in Arts & Letters PRIME Poetry Prize 2012.
- Poetry Collection: In Flagrante Delicto. Mammoth Books, 2008.
- Poetry Collection: Picture a Gate Hanging Open and Let that Gate be the Sun. Mammoth Books, 2002. Winner of the Mammoth Books Prize for Poetry: (Available from publisher; email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Scholarly article: "Writing as a Process of Valuing." College Composition and Communication. October 1995.
- Chapbook of original poetry. Camellia Press, 1993.