My Web Site
B.A., Miami (Ohio) University, 1972
Ph.D., City University of New York, 1979
- Recipient, Charles L. Brewer Distinguished Teaching of Psychology Award (American Psychological Foundation), 2010
- Recipient, Faculty Excellence Award, Ithaca College, 2010
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- Fellow, American Psychological Association, Society for the Teaching of Psychology
- Fellow, American Psychological Association, Society for International Psychology
- President, Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 2004
- Secretary, Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 1993-1995
- Issues in Teaching Psychology
- History of Psychology
- Psychology of Humor
- Undergraduate Research
- Teaching of Psychology Editor, Journal of the History of Psychology
- Chair, Test Development Committee, Advanced Placement Psychology Test, 2003-2011
- Member, Steering Committee, APA's National Conference on Undergraduate Education in Psychology
- Associate Editor, Teaching of Psychology, 1996-2008
- Computers in Teaching Editor, Teaching of Psychology, 1987-1996
- Editor, Online Psychology Laboratory, National Science Foundation-funded grant to APA
- Faculty Consultant, Advanced Placement Psychology Test, 1995-Present
- Participant, American Psychological Association Education Leadership Conference, 2002-2004
- Invited Participant, Psychology Partnership Project, American Psychological Association, 1999
- Invited Participant, National Conference for Enhancing the Quality of Undergraduate Education, American Psychological Association, 1991
Beins, B. C. (In press). Methodological and Conceptual Issues in Cross-Cultural Research. In K. D. Keith (Ed.). Cross-Cultural Psychology. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Holmes, J. D., & Beins, B. C. (2009). Psychology is a science: At least some students think so. Teaching of Psychology, 36, 5-11.
Wimer, D. J., & Beins, B. C. (2008). Expectation and perceived humor. Humor: International Journal of Humor Studies, 21, 347-363.
Beins, B. C., & Beins, A. M. (2008). Effective writing in psychology: Papers, posters, and presentations. Boston: Wiley-Blackwell.
Beins, B. C. (2009) Research Methods: A Tool for Life. Second edition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon
Dunn, D. S., Beins, B. C., Hill, G. W., & McCarthy, M. A. (2010). Best Practices for Teaching Beginnings and Endings in the Psychology Major. New York: Oxford University Press.
Dunn, D. S., Smith, R.A. and Beins, B. (Eds.) (2007). Best Practices for Teaching Statistics and Research Methods in the Behavioral Sciences. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
Benson, T. A., Burke, C., Amstadter, A., Siney, R., Hevern, V., Beins, B., & Buskist, B. (Eds.) (2005). The teaching of psychology in autobiography: Perspectives from exemplary psychology teachers. Syracuse, NY: Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
Buskist, W., Beins, B. C., & Hevern, V. W. (2004). Preparing the new psychology professoriate: Helping graduate students become competent teachers. Syracuse, NY: Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
Gale Encyclopedia of Psychology (1996), General Editor
Beins, B. C. (2005). The scholarship of teaching and pedagogy. In S. F. Davis and W. Buskist. Handbook of the Teaching of Psychology. Oxford: Blackwell.
Beins, B. C. (2002). Technology in the Classroom: Traditions in Psychology. In S. Davis and B. Buskist (Eds.). Teaching of Psychology: Essays Honoring Wilbert J. McKeachie and Charles L. Brewer. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.