I am from Hyderabad, India, which was a sleepy city when I was growing up. Today it is a bustling metropolis with more than six million people, and undergoing rapid transformation as a global city competing for foreign investment. As a sociologist, I am interested in studying this change especially in the workplace and family. Some questions I investigate are: What happens to work when it is outsourced? How do workers identify both opportunities and uncertainties in a globalizing labor market? With the emergence of women as serious economic actors, how do they challenge traditional gender norms?
I also have extensive grassroots experience in community development programs in India. I worked on a variety of projects – women’s education and empowerment, disaster relief, and community organization – and a broad range of issues where I designed and implemented participatory rural appraisal (PRA) studies on education, conducted a needs assessment survey for a community participation project for the rehabilitation of earthquake affected districts, and designed and participated in community outreach programs.
These experiences inform both my research and teaching especially in terms of social justice and social change.
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2014-15 Fulbright U.S. Scholar grant for teaching/research in India
- 2013 Junior Scholar Best Paper award at the V International Conference on Work and Family in Barcelona, for my paper titled: “Straddling Tradition and Modernity: Gender, Power, and Marriage Among White-Collar Workers in India."
- 2013 Summer Grant for Research, Center for Faculty Excellence, Ithaca College
- 2012 SAGE Teaching Innovations & Professional Development Award, American Sociological Association (ASA) Section on Teaching and Learning.
- 2011 Early Career Work and Family Scholar, 2011-12 Cohort, Work and Family Researchers Network.
- Introduction to Sociology
- Research Methods I
- Research Methods II (Spring 2014)
- Introduction to Globalization: Missing Links in Commodity Chains
- Contemporary Global Issues
- Global Race and Ethnic Relations
- Globalization of Food
- Temples, Technology, and Transition: India in the 21st Century
- Outsourced: Global Dynamics of Work and Development