“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Mahatma Gandhi
"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- COMP-115: Public folder, calendar, details, syllabus, groups, song-survey.
- COMP-311: Public folder, calendar, details, syllabus.
Fall 2011-Spring 2012:
- Fulbright Fellow in Istanbul, Türkiye.
- COMP-311: Algorithms and Data Structures [QUOTES]
- COMP-210: Computer Organization [QUOTES]
- COMP-190: Introduction to Computation With Matlab [QUOTES]
- COMP-190: Geographic Information Systems
- COMP-220: Data Structures [QUOTES]
- COMP-365: Computer Networks
Publications with Undergraduates (names in bold):
- Exposure to Research Through Replication of Research: A Case in Complex Networks. Ali Erkan, Sam Newmark, and Nicolas Ommen. ITICSE 2009, Paris, France.
- An Image Background Detection Project For A Visual Exploration of DFS and BFS. Ali Erkan and Diyan Gochev. SIGCSE 2008, Portland, Oregon.
- Data Structure Visualization with LaTeX and Prefuse. Ali Erkan, T.J. VanSlyke, and Tim Scaffidi. ITICSE 2007, Dundee, Scotland.
- Integration of OPNET Modeler with external Development Tools in Linux/ Solaris. Ali Erkan and Sigurd Teigen. OPNETWORK, August 2006, Washington DC.
- A Simulation Based Study of the Allen-Cunneen Approximation in Queuing Networks with non-Markovian Traffic Sources. Ali Erkan and Joshua Hudner. OPNETWORK, August 2003, Washington DC.
- Deterministic Media Access and Bandwidth Allocation for Periodic Streams. Ali Erkan and Zac Rider. OPNETWORK, August 2003, Washington DC.
Saving the Helpless Invertebrates of Topsoil:
- This is a society dedicated to saving at least a few of the earthworms we see stranded on the sidewalks, roads, etc, after it rains. Earthworms are very useful animals. Membership is automatically granted for anyone who saves an earthworm; please communicate your good deed to Ali with an email (our reporting is based on an honor-code). All memberships expire at the end of the current semester to encourage members saving multiple worms.
- Members: Metin Erkan (AKA Babam ANA Dede), Griffin Nichols, Michael Smith, Isaiah Smith (the one on the left), Sima Etaner-Uyar, Rebecca Shapley.
- Here are two reasons why IC kicks butt: Buzzsaw Haircut, The Ithacan.
- A recently discovered alterego, thanks to TJ. Finally I know why I have all these chocolate stains...
- As of 2006, this is no longer the case (another thanks to TJ)...
- Hmm, erkan-bar...